Wednesday, June 6, 2012

This Little Light of Mine

Another inspiration for this blog is Vaction Bible School.  I'm not a big fan of children.  It's true; they're needy and whiny and just not my thing.  Teenagers I can handle, but small children........not so much.  So, my daughter-in-law always asks me to help her do VBS at our little country church.  It's going on this week and oh, my how those little creatures can wear me down! 

Once upon a time, I had a conversation with my husband about how people would rather lay in their beds doing nothing on Sunday morning than get dressed up in their Sunday best and go worship God for an hour or two.  It puzzled me how a tradition that was instilled in us in childhood could be abandoned in adulthood.  He said that I was the weird one and that it wasn't actually instilled in the majority of families.  Imagine my shock to discover that going to church in the Bible belt was not the norm!  It certainly is not the norm now.

Back to VBS:  considering that I'm not really into children, it was my opinion that every parent on the planet would LOVE to get rid of their kids every night of the week to have a couple of hours of peace in their home.  However, that was not what we experienced the first night; it was a miniscule attendance.  Do parents really enjoy their children that much that they can't part with them for an in depth study of God?  That hasn't been my experience with the parents of these children...........most are plopped down in front of a TV or video game to occupy their active imaginations.  It seems that occupying their imaginations with the love of God for a couple of hours is time better spent, but that's just me.

You see, I still believe that 'Jesus Loves Me' and the answer to the question, 'Do Lord, Do You R'member Me?' is "Yes, I Do!".......and more than ANYTHING, I want my child to know those things too!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment